The Biggest Tragedy Of My Existence- ROMCOMS!


By: Mehnaz Farooque

She built a love castle in her mighty mind.  For no one ever told her that the reality could be even better!”

If you think some religious extremist making invalid objections on social media is a big problem, you are wrong! There are other problems, big ones. No, I am not going to talk about beef ban or triple talaq here.  Being a crazy self-obsessed spoiled brat (as mentioned by my ex-romantic encounters), I am going to talk about my biggest problem in life- ROMCOMS. Yeah, the flicks that are too good to be true, the ones that jeopardized my entire existence. 

All these Hollywood ROMCOMS (okay a few Bollywood ones too) have so intricately twisted and tweaked my mind that I guess I have a whole different section near my pituitary gland that houses Love stories. I am not a mere romantic person; I’m hopelessly addicted to an idea that is practically not feasible, not only in this dimension but also in the other parallel ones too. I can write an essay on it, but my fellow veiled mistresses will kill me. (Yeah I just cross linked my blog here, so?).
Anyway, in order to make it readable and interesting for you guys, I am writing pointers to explain you all, the biggest tragedy of my existence.



How ROMCOMS ruined my life:

#1 The One:  You won’t believe how this concept played with my logical reasoning. I grew up watching ROMCOMS on Star Movies and HBO. I was in the 6th standard when I first saw When Harry Met Sally; I was taken aback by the movie. I don’t know why at such a young age I could relate to Meg Ryan’s character. And it made me believe that I’d find a guy, who’d be the one. Even after 12 years.
Ruining part:  I thought the guy whom I was deeply in love with during my college days, is my Harry Burns. I thought he’d come around. And we’d be together, forever. Now in reality, the guy, who was also a close friend, never fell in love. I was always his “buddy”. So technically, I made him my “the one”; and now my “the one” is with someone else!
image source: internet

#2 The bad boys are the good ones: Remember, Landon Carter from A Walk to Remember? He’s the main culprit here, also supported by Patrick Verona from 10 things I Hate About You. These characters made me believe that the bad guys are actually the good ones, while the good ones are the boring ones (Refer: I Hate Love Stories). So, it made me believe that my “good” guy is in disguise of a bad guy. And the actual good guy is a boring guy. Confused? So am I.
Ruining part:  I thought the bad guy will turn into a good one with my love. In reality, he’s just a BAD GUY!
image source: internet

#3 The meet cutes:  I always thought I will walk the road and suddenly I’ll pass by the man of my life and feel we’re connected.  He’ll try to talk to me and that’s how the story of “how we met” will begin.
Ruining part: I expected that even in the Tinder times! In reality, there are no meet cutes! Yes, you might meet a cute guy, but he might never call you back or you yourself might block him on Whatsapp.
image source:internet


#4 The hot guy: ROMCOMS made me believe that it’s okay to be a below average looking girl. Because the hottest guy in college will fall for the innocence in you.
Ruining part: I expected that from one of my seniors. News flash: He dated other hot girls. I was there thinking he’d notice and he’d be magically drawn towards my irresistibly average looks. But that didn't happen.

#5 Forevers & Airports: Just like Imran Khan rides a horse to stop Genelia D'Souza from flying away in Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Naa, and then he sings and then they have a Happy Ending, forever, I waited for my guy to come to the airport too.
Ruining part: The airport scenes never happened. Instead, I’m mostly late reaching the airports; so I am usually arguing with the security check lady.
image source: internet

#6 High expectations: Now this one point comes from the guys I had been with. They think I live in a fictional world where I believe the guy is someone just like Mr. Darcy out of Pride and Prejudice. I won’t lie, I actually do. I believe there is a guy with imperfect perfections who will fall in love deeply and passionately.
Ruining part: The guys feel pressurized and they freak out. They think I believe them to be some fictional heroes. Well, not exactly, because Edward Cullen is on another level (yeah I just mentioned Twilight), but somewhere down the line I do end up wanting that.
image source: internet

Result? I am an average looking girl with expectations even taller than my height. I end up meeting people who freak out with my ideas of romance. I end up getting hurt as well as hurting others. But yeah, now I don’t know how to not believe in them anymore. You may call it obsession, but it’s not. It is just my idea of love. I grew up with these ROMCOMS and I feel happy watching them. And maybe I would never end up with that kind of story. But I hope to! I know I’m not the only one here. I know many of us are waiting for a magical story. I’d say, enjoy the movies and be happy. You will eventually find what you have been looking for irrespective of what the stories have been showing.  
image source: internet

P.S.  An Augustus Waters, without the cancer, maybe around, but he might not be too.  So, let’s not sabotage our stories for that. Let’s just try to be a little realistically romantic instead!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stumbled upon a forgotten world...

BURQA - a perception, a community or a choice?

My Canine Story