My Canine Story

By Arastah Jannat Islam

I am sure it's quite evident from the title itself that I am about to speak of none other than "man's best friend", that is darling dogs. This isn't anything about dog breeds (of which I have little or no knowledge at all), or anything about ways of looking after them. This is simply a penned down version of my many rendezvous with dogs (stray or housed).


There is certain kind of affinity between me and them. Dogs anywhere generally get friendly with me instantly (hope this continues...touchwood!). So when I  met Lucy at my friend's place for the first, we clicked in a moment and there she was wagging her tail and sitting down licking my feet as me and my friend chatted. From that day onwards we shared this amazing bond. Whenever I visited my friend (which was quite often as she was also my neighbour) Lucy would always run to me and put her mouth on my legs and I had to pat her and fondle her for some time, only after which she would retreat to her place. On days when she used to be in chains in her room, she would sense my presence and would bark and get restless until she was allowed to come to me. And the best part is whenever I passed their house, if she was unchained she would always peep down through the closed gate of their campus and would bark as if greeting me. She used to sense my approach. I totally loved her. But one day suddenly she passed away, probably due to a sudden stroke. It's been years since Lucy is gone and I still miss her whenever I pass that gate.

Then there was Mickey at my Mama's (maternal uncle) place. That white as snow, furry little thing was cute as ever. Especially, due to a black spot on his forehead which made him look adorable. My Mom hates dogs (as a matter of fact except two of my Uncles, my whole family hates dogs). Mickey who otherwise has a free and easy access to all the rooms and beds and sofas and chairs doesn't enter any room in my Mom's presence. Such careful and obedient being he was. And two years back he lost a long battle to ill health and old age. My uncle did try to help him sustain but unfortunately, he gave in. I used to meet Mickey just once in a year but still, his loss was something that bothered me for a long time. It hurts me to even imagine the state of mind of my uncle, aunt and my cousin, who lived with Mickey since he was a two months old pup with those sparkling buttons for eyes. However, after this, they didn't adopt another pup, but they do feed street dogs. Last time I met a street dog Rani and her four pups, Choco, Sweetu, Honey and Puchi. They make a beautiful family. The pups were just a few months old then and with full of energy and always in the mood of playing, except for Puchi, who prefers taking the limelight. We need to go to her and coax her to play and only then she responds. Some attitude she has!

Lots of love to them and may they live a healthy and long life.

There used to be many street dogs in our colony. Sometimes, when I go for walk around the campus, they would accompany me by following me and sometimes by trotting ahead of me. What overwhelmed me was whenever I used to return home in the evening, they used to be there at the main entrance of our housing complex and would walk me to the gate of my house. As if they were waiting just for me. Later some of them were given to some NGO (I heard so) and some of them just left. But they left with me some wonderful memories to ruminate over.

And once upon a time there was a princess whose
name was Tuktuk and she did almost have a regal life. Tuktuk lived in our neighbourhood as well. She was covered with lusciously white, silky furs. Like any other pet, she was the apple of her owner's eyes. She was so pampered that she would eat only if the food was cooked and served in a particular way. She would sleep only with her owner, her mother (as the lady likes to call herself). And only a particular brand of bathing and beauty products she would let her Mom use on her. That fussy our Tuktuk was. However, even with all her fussy attitude, she was one adorable baby. On my visits to her place, she would either curl up at my feet or just sit beside me, half of her on my lap. I had the opportunity to enjoy Tuktuk's company for just one and a half or two years, the family then moved to some other town.

And goes on my encounters with these four legged wonders. I can keep on writing about them that might end up in a fat book.

I have never had a pet though I always loved this beautiful creature called the dog. Initially, it was due to family objection (which is still there..strong as always!). But later as I grew up, I realised I cannot adopt a dog...ever I guess! Not due to anyone's opinion, but simply because I wouldn't be able to handle the overwhelming affection that dogs generally bestow. I am too weak for that. Because with that unconditional love comes along a sea deep attachment and I am a total failure at handling attachments. The way they make you their world, I am afraid I don't have the capacity to give back the same (though they would be more than happy with even a little bit of love). And the biggest reason for not living with a dog, even after having such innate bonding with them, is the fear of losing them. Lucy's untimely death and losing Mickey, added to this fear of mine. Their loss was hard to take. I know I am sounding negative, but in the case of dogs, I become overly sensitive.

However, keeping all sad and bad things aside, dogs are truly and perfectly termed as man's best friend (women's best friend as well). Those puppy eyes and pink tongues and wagging tails can melt your heart. And when they groan with their teeth shining, it's time to look for a safe place. Just like small kids, they would try to be the centre of attraction with all their antics. They spread so much love. And that being the reason I felt like dedicating this friendship month to my beautiful friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stumbled upon a forgotten world...

BURQA - a perception, a community or a choice?